Sunday, April 29, 2012

NannerKirby


Kirby turns 20 this year. That's pretty crazy to me. Not as crazy as all the game characters turning 25 last year, but still pretty insane. I've been going around in circles about what stickers to make, and I'm glad inspiration finally struck. I've featured Kirby and Waddle Doo here, but I think it may be fun to explore some of Kirby's other forms ('Beam' from Superstar is one of my absolute favorites).

When facing one's demons, it's important to have a distraction or two. Art should be a pretty good one, but I actually find it much harder to work when despair and worry set in. Right now, I'm finding myself really drawn to game design - specifically card games. I have no plans to sit down and actually create a game at this juncture, I'm just really in love with the process and ideas behind it all.

My focus as of late has been UFS. It was a collectible card game with some really interesting mechanics that took characters, moves, and locations from a bunch of rad fighting games (Street Fighter, Soul Calibur, Tekken, Samurai Shodown, King of Fighters, etc.). I had a blast playing the game with my friends despite some balance issues (it's really tough to explain concepts of ratios and synergy to anyone who has only a passing interest in such things). My obsession with game design has lead me down the rabbit hole of creating a series of balanced decks that distill the fun and craziness of the game into a contained experience that can be played as easily and readily as a non-collectible-card game.

I was inspired by the ideas and games of Dave Sirlin. He's a mad genius. I plan on owning all of the games he makes one day. Please check out Flash Duel to truly understand what I'm talking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment